3 Things I Want To See In AoA!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Judah, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Judah

Judah Game Designer Rainbow VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Hey all! As I learn more and more about AoA, I have started to think of certain aspects that I would love to see in the game, and I decided to make a list to share with you! Hope you enjoy.

1. The first on my list in Synergy. For those of you that aren't familiar with the term, it revolves around teamwork. It expands on the idea that working together will improve your outcome. The way this would work in AoA would be having a system that rewards players for working together. I remember multiple boss fights in SAO where players would have to, for example, have their teammate distract the boss so they could get a more powerful attack. In terms of rewards, you could be rewarded with a temporary damage buff, get extra Col at the end of the fight - anything the developers come up with. Synergy is just a great system IMO, especially for a game that revolves so heavily around SAO.

[​IMG]

2. Second would be Beautiful Landscapes. Aincrad is an incredible place. I know this game is trying to stay away from characters in the show, but Kirito's idea was that players should forget that they were losing a day in the real world, and remember that they are gaining a day in this beautiful, fantasy world. I guess my point is that I hope we can achieve the incredible landscape and scenery of Aincrad, as shown throughout the show.

[​IMG]

3. My third and final thing that I want to see in AoA is combined into two similar terms, and sort of relates to point two - those would be Realism and Immersion. This isn't something hard to accomplish nowadays, especially in an MMO that aims to be a simulation of a real world simulation :p. Realism is easy to explain - being that SAO was supposed to be a real-time event, it wouldn't be hard to create a virtual world that follows those expectations. Secondly, we have Immersion, which is also something easy to accomplish. You would do this by, for example, not having the ability to buy cosmetic armor that looks completely out of place.

[​IMG]

Anyways, thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it! I know the developers are hard at work on making features like the ones listed come true, and I have no doubt that they'll do a great job with it. I also encourage you all to perhaps write out a list of things you'd like to see in-game as well! Again, thanks for reading and I hope to catch you guys around soon. :)

2. Leo

Leo Community Manager Staff Member Legend Hero Warlord Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

3. XenoWarrior

XenoWarrior Administrator Staff Member Administrator Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

4. Judah

Thanks, sorry for the trouble. :p

Nelchael likes this.
  5. Nelchael

Nelchael Purple VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

1. Rewarding exploration. Not many MMOs do that nowadays. Ideally, it should be possible to still find hidden areas in a floor even a few months after it was cleared.

2. Good combat. Pretty self-explanatory.

3. An interactive world. Being able to cut trees, sit on benches, whatever. As a rule of thumb, if there's something that catches your eye, you should be able to interact with it. Not many MMOs do this, but some have achieved this to some extent, a good example being ArcheAge.

Whitescythe, Judah and DeViper like this.
  6. DeViper

DeViper Adventurer Adventurer

Good (and I mean really fucking good) Combat, I'm hoping the combat system would be somewhat easy to learn and difficult to master, rewarding those skilled players, I hope the skill gap would be pretty fucking high. As in, let's say 2-4 "moderate" players were to engage in combat with a "pro" player, I don't want that 1 player not having a chance of winning the fight and he should have the ABILITY to win, but who's to say he will win, if he does good he might kill 3 and the 4th would kill him or he'd kill them all if that 4th guy was shit. (Assuming they were all around the same level)

So basically that means in a team fight like 3 vs 7, that SHOULDN'T be impossible, in fact it should be more than possible if that 3 had outstanding teamwork compared to the 7 which had hardly much teamwork. You get me? Don't say this is a bad idea or a good one if you don't know what I'm talking about or never played an MMO like that.

This game called Face of Mankind (Open PvP world, Shooter MMO. No need to check it out they changed everything now and it's shit, it's called Face of Mankind: Fall of the Domion. It's dying.). Don't worry it's not the type of MMO where you'd die realistically like in 2-3 hits like other games lol. (Most guns were semi-auto) To kill someone efficiently in that game was that you'd have to accurately and as fast as you could and to survive you had dodge, watch if your armors durability is gonna break before a fight, to time popping your med kits(Basically potions that healed over time) and a lot of other complicated shit. Anyways it had that kind of system. I'm going to link a video where 3 elite mercenaries take out a squad of 6 soldiers, because they had them ambushed(More like they were trapped and had to attack cuz they weren't able to hide) and had amazing teamwork throughout the video.

TL;DR Action combat(Basically Aim attacks, time them, and Block/parry attacks or evade attacks by rolling and whatnot) A combat system that rewards skill and teamwork. So Quality over Quantity. 1 v 3's, 3 v 6's, 6 v 10's and what not should be possible to win.

That's what I'm worried about the most, lol. :p

Judah, Kayen and Plazmatic like this.
  7. Kayen

Kayen Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

On Judah's points, there's some issues.
    For your first on teamwork, the Dev's shouldn't have to dangle a carrot in front of players faces to get them to play together effectively. Teamwork in itself is a reward. Working as a team allows players to be far more effective, and accomplish things a PUG wouldn't be able to do. As for your little scenario:
    That's just called people doing their fucking job. If a tank isn't holding aggro and keeping the boss off the DPS then they're plain not doing their job right. It's not something you should inherently be giving players rewards for when done correctly, as doing it correctly is the reward.

Your third point:
    For realism, sure it's not that hard to implement things that give them game a good sense of realism, but the problem is that this is a small indie team and that kind of shit is just far too time consuming. I'd much rather have a well made functioning combat system than the devs adding a bunch of useless crag for realism and then half assing the combat.
    "But Kayen, they can take their time making the game and add it all" people cry.
    That's what expansions are for.

Judah likes this.
  8. Judah

I don't believe I totally see where you're coming from here. While I do agree that teamwork is something that people should do on default, it just isn't, and that's because, well, why would you do it if there's no huge benefit to you? If I was told that working with other people would, say, do something as small as give me a better chance at getting stronger gear, I would do it all the time. If I don't get anything that will really benefit me, why do it? A good example of this would be The Elder Scrolls Online - when you work with your team in a battle, you gain Synergy, which, if you have enough stored, can increase your damage for a short amount of time. I think small things like that could make a relatively big change in combat.

Also, realism doesn't really need certain things to be implemented - in fact, in most cases, it needs things not to be implemented. My example of this would be WoW, when they added rocketships and hellicopters for flying mounts. One person flying a bird and one flying a robot destroys immersion in my opinion.

Anyways, not here to start an argument - just some of my ideas. I like your ideas too, @DeViper and @Nelchael

9. Kayen

Then that just proves that you're not a very smart player. Playing as a team does give you a better chance at getting stronger gear. With proper teamplay you can do things PUG's can't i.e. kill stronger mobs that drop better gear, beat other parties in PvP etc. Ignoring teamwork solely on the ground that you don't get a physical buff/reward for it is just you sticking your head in the sand and crying about not getting stuff because it's not being spoon fed to you.

10. Judah

Who's to say that I can't do those things with people I don't know? Just because I'm not physically talking to someone I know doesn't mean that I can't work well with them. The act of rewarding a player for using teamwork isn't just for shits and giggles. You're not handing someone a prize just because you can - it's so they do it again. If something is working and benefiting someone in a very noticeable way, why wouldn't they do it again? Correct me if I'm wrong, but most people probably think that working as a team and communicating makes the game more enjoyable. With that being said, there are people who don't think that. Although you (and I) seem to think that people should appreciate and use teamwork by default, it just doesn't work that way - not everyone does that.

11. Darvaken

Darvaken Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

All I want is fast-paced and realistic fight with real action,not just cooldown stuff,like you actually aim your enemy ,attack with your mouse and keys,dodge manually, not just cast skills and wait

12. Nelchael

If being in a group isn't a reward on its own, maybe you're just better off solo. If a game forced me to join a group for a reward, it probably means I could have done better by myself. Because otherwise, why would it try to force me to do a logical thing? That's like if someone came up to you and said "I'll give you fifty bucks if you smell this flower." Normally, you might have smelled the flower voluntarily, but once someone offers you a reward, your first thought is "What did that guy do to the flower?"

Pretty sure manual aim was confirmed, and thank God for that. The combat system that WoW and hundreds of other MMOs use would surely kill this game.

13. Judah

Good point. That being said, many players in this game will be playing solo, and the developers are trying to steer players away from that. Oh well, nobody's opinion is right. What you said makes sense, although I would still like to see some sort of feature mentioned implemented into the game. :)

14. Kayen

The Dev's aren't going to be convincing those guys to party with people any time soon. Giving parties physical benefits would also be unfair to solo players. I know everyone's thinking "but Kayen you fucking hate soloers", yes I do, but to put them at an actual disadvantage when there's inherent benefits to being in a party is a bit cruel. I get that you want to teach players to actually play as a team but sometimes it's best not to spoonfeed people, letting them come to conclusions is sometimes the best way to teach. As much as I'd love extra shit and would abuse the fuck out of it it's just not fair and doesn't need to be implemented.

15. lambey332

lambey332 Birthday Boy

3 things i want to see:

1) Rare skills. like dual wield - not unique. just rare, make it so not everyone can get them. dont make them drop off bosses

2) This is kinda 2, but Nice environments we get rewards for exploring (like rare hidden and randomly occurring quests - which can reward rare skills!). the area i saw on the video looked really gloomy :p

3) a good combat system. says it all really.

16. Kayen

Pick one.

DeViper likes this.
  17. lambey332

lambey332 Birthday Boy

dont have to. they can both happen.

18. Nelchael

That, I'm afraid, is so unlikely it's borderline impossible. If you want unique skills that not everyone can get so you can be a unique snowflake, there's not much you can do to make combat fair.

19. Judah

Agreed. While it's possible, it would take LOTS of effort and time to balance it with other skills. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, and it would make a lot of sense when comparing it to the anime, but I just can't see it happening. Oh well, who knows. Love the rest of your points, though! :D

20. lambey332

lambey332 Birthday Boy

not necissarily.
    Dual Wield = greater offense, lower defense
    Dual shield = opposite
    Berserk = increased damage done and damage taken (or you dont take damage for 10 seconds, then you take it all at once)
    Ground smash = Open to leap attacks
    Leap attacks = easier to dodge
    Weapon chain = increased range (not by too much), increased disarm time or chance to be disarmed.
    Increased block chance = slower movement, slower turning (so people can get behind easier)

all you have to do is think of balance. each skill needs to have a positive and a negative. that in itself makes for interesting combat because in PVP you'd have to counter these skills by using your brain and adapting a strategy for the opponent.