About weapon and armor's wielding requirement

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Darvaken, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Darvaken

Darvaken Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

As far as I readed,the only requirement for weapon and armor will be lvl,I think it should be more than that,using stats requirement(keeping the lvl requirement too) so player cant just use any kind of armor or weapon he want but stuff that fit his stat,like daggers,light armor and things like that need better dexterity stats,greatsword and heavy armor need high strenght,and normal sword and medium armor need a balance of the 2 stats,and make the weapon skills dependant on the profiency level with the wielded weapon,so someone who used the same weapon forever dont just switch weapon to instantly get the op skill related to the new weapon

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    InfiniteWawa and tgudge like this.
  2. DarkCarnage

DarkCarnage

i do think a lvl requreiemnt is needed, and i do think a stats minuim be good idea also. maybe possible a skills for that style of armro, so poeple not just switch from mid armor they been weapon all game to heavy iron armor suddenly.

Darvaken likes this.
  3. Snoopu

Snoopu Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Skills for heavier armour really does it.

Thinking about more.

4. DarkCarnage

DarkCarnage

you ever wear heavy armor ? i worn from basic heavy cloth to full plate, it takes skill and somestime help to put on teh really heavy stuff. and getting use to moving around wiht a extra 60+ pounds is no joke, take it form me i was sore for 3 days after wearing it lol.

think of it like starting heavy armor not going to be really that thick/heavy compared to later game stuff, if they been getting used to the weight loads they can wear heaver things with out really stressing their bodies, tehy know how to wear it and how to move it in effectively.

5. Darvaken

Didnt talk about armor skills but armors requirement,I only spoke about the weapons skills...

6. Skiy

Skiy

Shouldn't there be less restrictions? While I get that there's a level restriction in nearly every single MMO to date, why not just offer penalties?
    I'm not sure how the game's equipment system is going to work in terms of how equipment affects your movement and such, but if I had the option, let's say you had a heavy set of armor that requires a stat of 80 Strength, yet you're only rocking 40. The game would allow you to equip the armor but you'd be terribly slow and you'd take a penalty to your defense meaning that it'd probably better for you to rock something closer to your stats.

Can someone point me in the direction of what kind of stats there will be? Agility, Strength, etc? I'd be able to make a more thought out post then.

7. Darvaken

whats the point in requirement if they're not respected?and that's not that much requirement lvl and stats,like in diablo :p

8. Snoopu

Snoopu Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

I was thinking about this. Having armour higher than your level/skill, will make you slower, or lower attack speed.

9. Darvaken

simple way to say it:
    weapon requirement:lvl and stats
    armor requirement:lvl and stats
    weapon skill requirement:profiency/mastery lvl with the wielded weapon

10. Skiy

Skiy

The point would be simple. Nothing would stop you from wearing high strength gear on a high agility character, but you might as well not have a single point in agility because that armor is going to get you hit, a lot. If the stats are going to be anything like a normal MMO with Strength reflecting your damage/mitigation and agility affecting your hit rate/evasion then you're going to want to avoid armor not suited for your playstyle because it will hinder you and remove the point in you having your stats at all.

Throwing at random numbers but lets say your wearing an entire set of armor that requires 80str and it looks a bit like this

Heavy Armor Set
    80 Strength Required
    0 Agility Required
    4000 Defense

You character Stats look like this
    40 Strength
    40 Agility
    0 Defense

Equipped, it looks like this
    40 Strength
    0 Agility
    2000 Defense

You take a massive agility hit for not being able to support the armor, so now you've got no evasion and you hit slow as hell, and you also just halved the armor sets defense because again, you don't have the strength to support it. Assuming that armor sets would fall into some sort of balance, with something like a 40 Strength set having 2000 Defense, you'd be better off wearing that and you'd still get to keep your agility.

It's just an idea and I'm probably off the mark with it, but less requirements and allowing players to think about what they're equipping is fun for me.

11. Darvaken

this bring back the fact that anybody can wear anything no matter what there stats are,this idea has been specifically made to prevent that

12. Skiy

Skiy

Aye, but it does it in different way rather than having an artificial block preventing players from even checking out how they look in that new piece of gear they just looted. The stats I've suggested aren't a concrete thing of course, different armor will probably have different bonuses to them. In the most recent MMO I've played (ArcheAge) armor pieces can offer bonuses such as decreasing a cooldown of a particular skill.

With that in mind, if AoA was to ever go for something similar, it means you could have an armor that gives a penalty to your stats but might be more beneficial combined with other pieces of armor. Again it's just a suggestion, I like to see less hard blocks on player's freedom and more "soft" blocks telling them that while they can wear the piece, it's not going to be effective.

And hell, maybe I'm a high agi player but want that cool looking black plate armor to walk around in.. YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO GAME, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOM!

13. Darvaken

Will be too heavy for you lmao,do you see a rogue wearing a tank armor?
    Im just trying to be realistic
    What about you can wear it but can't move(at all) xD?

14. Skiy

Skiy

I thought there was no classes in AoA? I prefer more "sandbox" styles rather than "I chose tank I wear plate"
    You'd probably be able to move, but you'd be walking speed, which would be an absolute pain, you'd also lose your evasion (if the game is going to function like a traditional mmo). 0 Evasion means you get hit every time. You can't kite, you can't evade, there would be no point in you wearing the armor other than for an aesthetic purpose, but that should be alright.

That said, we're looking at a 80 strength armor piece at someone with around 40, that's a massive gap and it'd be less important when you're at say, 70. Perhaps the armor offers a reasonable bonus but you don't want to get 80 strength, so that penalty for the bonus becomes worth it.

15. InfiniteWawa

InfiniteWawa

Yea I agree with Dark, because the game has no class system ( I think) having stats requirements instead of class requirement would be nice.

16. Darvaken

if we do that,ppl will change roles all the time and always pick the weapons/armors that fit the situation the best,on fast boss everyone will go rogue,tanky boss,everyone will go greatsword/tank

17. Skiy

Skiy

You forget the penalties. In extreme cases, a high agility player will not work well if a high strength set of armor, they take a defense hit and suffer stat drawbacks, making them slow, easy to hit and quite possibly reduces their hit rate

A high agi player would most likely be the equiv of a DPS role, so now you've got a high agi player with barely any movement, the armor their wearing offers barely any defense and his DPS is shot to pieces. The game should allow for this possibility. Requirements should be soft blocks, not hard blocks.

On weapons, we're forgetting proficiency (I assume that's gonna be present) and not only that, again, more penalties. If you have a heavy sword that you can barely lift then you're going to not hit as hard and you're going to swing slower, you're going to put out less DPS than someone with the right strength stat. If you have a lightweight sword that works better stabbing quickly but you're not fast enough? You're going to be outputting less DPS than someone with the right agility stat.

I need to find out more about stats and what things are gonna be affected by what, such as hit rate, evasion, HP, etc.

Edit: on your point that players will adapt and change their gear to reflect what kind of mobs they will be fighting, surely that isn't a bad idea? If a mace works better than a rapier against skeletons, would you take the rapier or mace? If the drawback is you have less DPS with the mace but have a 10% damage bonus against the mobs (just throwing out random numbers) then you make the choice.

I think you're still looking at the game with classes in mind which iirc is not the case. Player choice in what gear to bring and your knowledge of what compliments your stats the best should be important imo.

18. Darvaken

anyway,who would wear an agi armor(light armor) when you gotta carry a huge sword,it wont even enhance your speed since you still got the greatsword to carry so you're slow and defenseless.same for heavy armor and daggers

19. Skiy

Skiy

I think we'd have to differentiate between what weapons and armor effect. Weapons could affect your damage output whereas armor could affect your movement and how much damage you're going to take. But to answer your question, someone with a heavy great sword and light armor is probably looking to deal more alpha than DPS, as I'm guessing high strength weapons would do more damage per hit compared to agility weapons which would hit more per minute. His movement and evasion wouldn't be affected if we separated the two, so he'd be speedy and deal alpha rather than being optimally set to be fast and have higher DPS.

20. Leo

Leo Community Manager Staff Member Birthday Boy Legend Hero Warlord Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

i like it!