Anime For those who still expect SAO irl

Discussion in 'Gaming/Anime/Manga Discussions' started by dragrn, Jan 10, 2018.

1. dragrn

dragrn Purple VIP Purple VIP Seasoned Adventurer

^ I feel like this recently uploaded video by Film Theory is something devs and many patiently waiting followers of this project have been waiting for to help put things in perspective for others who don't know what to expect or are expecting too much.

2. Denian

Denian Minor Local Deity of Sarcasm | WebDev Staff Member Administrator Halloween VIP Dark Green VIP Black VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Since Kaze made everybody share this video, here's my response: MatPat seriously underestimates the cost. Not really his fault, in this case, though, since he took "realistic" data wherever available.

Point 1: True AI. And I'm talking about AI that is actually capable of searching the web, parsing stories, combining them into new quests, implementing those quests (everything up to this point: Cardinal), and giving psychological support to suicidal players (Yui). My estimate on this... look for an estimate of the total amount of money that went into AI research until now, and add that estimate (at least) to the SAO cost.

Point 2: The NerfGear (typo 100% intentional). You think the AI cost was high? Yeah, no. An ultra high resolution neural interface is so unrealistic (and before the "but everything else was invented, too" arguments start again, don't - argument invalid), the AI cost pales compared to it. Especially since we're talking about a neural interface that doesn't read signals, it intercepts and writes them. Let's say... do the same as with AI, but with Neuroscience, and add at least ten times the amount. Yes, we're that far away from such technology.

Point 3: MatPat's estimate on what taste and smell designers would be paid is probably quite low. The difference isn't as riddiculous as with AI and the NerfGear, but sound is way easier than the other senses for one simple reason: We're used to sound being "wrong", so it's not immersion breaking. If we can't smell half the world, though, we'd notice immediately. Or worse, if we could smell this lovely dinner, but not taste it because the taste designers forgot to add it. Therefore, those need to work far more thoroughly, and would therefore be more expensive. This won't be as much as AI or NerfGear, of course, but it'll be more than the estimated "equivalent of sound design".

Probably forgetting quite a bit of stuff, too.

Revan3917 and dragrn like this.