Forum names transferring

Discussion in 'Questions-Queries' started by Caesar, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Caesar

Caesar Halloween VIP Halloween VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

So I'm sure I remember this being talked about a long time ago, but now that things have changed a bit I figured I'd bring the conversation back to this. Would the staff ever consider allowing the members of the forum to be able to transfer their forum names to the game without worrying about the first come first serve kind of setup most games use. This could be maybe a perk we can buy later on down the line or something that only certain forum members will be able to access that, like old timers, VIP, or however the staff would want to set that up. So just honestly wondering if there's any chance of this happening?

Takita and rasmus15951 like this.
  2. rasmus15951

rasmus15951 Purple VIP Red VIP Purple VIP Seasoned Adventurer Adventurer Oldtimer

Yeah, Some of us have been here for 3-4 years, and it'd kinda suck if your name was taken, since everyone knows you by that name

Caesar likes this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Halloween VIP Halloween VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Yeah exactly.

4. Takita

Takita Shoutbox DJ | TakiRoll | Goddess of Lewd Light Purple VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Personally I see it as a feature that should come with buying WIP as you also get access to Insider

Caesar likes this.
  5. -Ezra-

-Ezra- Christmas VIP Christmas VIP

From a developing standpoint, this would probably pretty complicated to implement, so I wouldn't expect it.

The idea is good, but the complications of linking your forum account directly to your client account, and having it reserve that name for your account only, wouldn't be simple.

Also if I created an in-game character named Caeser before you linked your forum account to your client account, there would be no way for you to get your name.

6. rasmus15951

rasmus15951 Purple VIP Red VIP Purple VIP Seasoned Adventurer Adventurer Oldtimer

It could be pretty easy to implement depending on how Xenforos database structure looks like, if you for example either used the same account for both forum and game, or if they copied the forum accounts to the game's user database before launch

7. Caesar

^^^^ Exactly, owned ezra

EzraYuna likes this.
  8. Kathrall

Kathrall YGO 2015 1st Place Red VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

This should be an option for people who would buy something along the lines of a Founders Pack with some early access.

You also gotta realize if this actually comes out, it won't just be the maybe couple hundred something active members who are on it, every facebook memebr would be on it too most likely.

9. -Ezra-

-Ezra- Christmas VIP Christmas VIP

This would be extremely simple, but there is a difference between your account name and your characters name. If you have played any MMO, your actual account name is not what's displayed inside the game, it's your character name that you choose upon creation. This is what allows for a single account to have more than one playable character.

For your forum name to be reserved for a specific character to be possible, the list of restricted names would have to include all of names reserved (whether this be people who purchased it, VIP, old timers, active forums members, etc.) and would need an entire structure for white-listing made that wouldn't be integrated.

The white-listing system would have to work as follows.
    • Game checks if your account is linked to a forum account, if not it continues to the table of restricted names
    • You are linked to the forums, it checks if you have the specifics that allow for a reserved name(VIP, active etc)
    • If that is also true, it checks to see if your desired name matches your reserved name(Your forum account name)
    • Then we run into this issue:
    If Caesar has a reserved name for himself, but has yet to create a character with that name, and I go into the game, it would have to disallow me for my name to be Caesar by filtering my desired name through a very basic table of restricted names(Offensive words, profanity, etc.) So this means that Caesars name would also have to be on this list, so I can't choose that name.

So now, the fourth step would have to force your through the entire restricted names list otherwise you would get stuck on your own reserved name.

Now that we are here, we run into some possible abuse. It's very easy to bypass Xenforo's restricted values for names(Which there is no way to manually edit(I also own Xenforo)
    So somebody could make a stupid name using SHIFT+# to create swears, offensive terms, or use symbols which are normally disallowed( ALT+#### )

So here are some solutions I came up with in case the devs wanna try this out!

• Allow for users with reserved names to bypass the restricted names list, because each persons names on the reserved list will be manually accepted or denied
    • Create a separate blacklist only of reserved names, so every desired name goes through the original blacklist first, and then goes through the reserved blacklist if they are not using a reserved name
    • Just don't do this because it's a general waste of time and if people want their names they can win the ultimate hunger games of first come first serve, considering any player who would really want this is obviously super active, and will most likely participate in the game long before others do, which will allow for them to get the name their known by anyways.
    I put a lot of time into this post, so if you have any questions on my logic or thinking process please let me know.

10. Eugeo

Eugeo Adventurer Adventurer

This might be considered a necro but the forums are pretty quiet.
    I agree with this
    What are the chances I’ll get the name eugeo after five years of waiting

11. Caesar

Pretty low honestly if they advertise well.