Free to play; Pay to win

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by shishan, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Nelchael

Nelchael Purple VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

As someone who's played SWTOR since late beta, I'd say the f2p there is really not that good. It's still one of the better f2p/subscription hybrids out there, and they do try to keep it from being p2w, but having to play as a free player is infinitely annoying. Really, you have to buy something to become a preferred player and actually enjoy the game.
    Relying purely on cosmetics is not the best solution, and it could certainly lead to the game becoming p2w, but here's the thing: AoA is a SAO inspired game. Most of the people playing AoA will start playing it because they like SAO. Put Kirito's, Asuna's and Klein's outfits in the cash shop and they are going to buy them no matter how expensive they are. Kirito fanboys need these black cloaks, after all. A "The Black Swordsman" title? Sold. Kirito's swords? Sold. A small Yuki-esque fairy pet? Sold again.

Leo likes this.
  2. Kathrall

Kathrall YGO 2015 1st Place Red VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

As said above, players are only going to make (generally) one time purchases, that won't be enough to keep them going years.

3. Illyon

Illyon Pokémon Master | Treasure Hunters God Christmas VIP Halloween VIP Blue VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Would someone care to explain the system of SWTOR? I have no idea what to imagine.

@Nelchael, the problem is the copyright issue again. Can we just implement the looks, the terms, the details? I'm not even sure if the name "Aincrad" is acceptable.
    But if that's possible, the cosmetics will be enough, I'll agree on that >.>

My opinion is, buying the game is not a problem. Most people who have followed this won't back off because of a bit of money. But shouldn't 20€ or $20 be enough if they're running a cash shop for cosmetics at the side, too?

4. Nelchael

Well, I have no problem with paying 30 bucks or so for the game myself, but the thing is, the devs have already promised to make it f2p, so if they change it now they're gonna get a lot of complaints.
    As for SWTOR, imagine a cash shop with mostly cosmetic items, but there's stuff like character slots, inventory expansion, and so on. Free players get the bare minimum to start with, but they will eventually have to buy these things to progress. Once they buy anything, they become a preferred player, which gives them a few advantages, including the ability to Sprint from level 1, which is really important if you don't want to die of boredom just trying to walk somewhere. Preferred status is permanent and can be activated by any monetary transaction, like subscribing and then stopping or buying cash shop currency. The next step is the subscribers, who pretty much get everything for free, and what they don't get they can buy with regular in-game currency (credits) as opposed to cash shop money (cartel coins). Non-subscribers are not allowed to post on the game's forums as well, and have a large handicap when it comes to crafting.

I also just now realized I said Yuki instead of Yui in the earlier post. My bad.

5. Illyon

Illyon Pokémon Master | Treasure Hunters God Christmas VIP Halloween VIP Blue VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Seems like too much pay to win. Or is it really just limited to convenience?

Also, do you really need to buy anything to progress on higher levels, or will it just become a bit uncomfortable?

6. Nelchael

I've been playing as a preferred player for a while now, and while it's inconvenient, it's not that bad as long as you don't mind your ability to craft being crippled. Free players have limited access to flashpoints (raids), PvP, space missions.. pretty much all instanced content, so there's a lot of grinding involved if you don't want to become underleveled really quickly. Of course, you can buy a weekly pass in the cash shop..

7. Kathrall

Kathrall YGO 2015 1st Place Red VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

:facepalm:

8. Nelchael

Soo. You mind elaborating on that facepalm? I was a subscriber since launch for a pretty long time, and I can't name a single thing I couldn't buy with credits or didn't get for free, including cartel coins to buy cosmetic items.

9. Kathrall

If you're subscribing then you're not getting it for free... You're paying every month :facepalm:

10. Nelchael

That's literally the definition of pay to win though. You pay money in real life to get free stuff in the game that affects the balance.
    Either way, an argument about SWTOR wasn't really the point of this thread, so.. maybe we should go back to the original topic?

11. Illyon

The problem is the terminology. If you're paying for something every month, you don't get it for free ^^

12. Nelchael

Yeah, I'll try to be more clear in the future. No need for any more misunderstanding. xD

13. shishan

shishan

Just please. Not pay to win. It's not that I don't have money to buy some items or stuff. But I want Aoa to be a world that real Gods will play. (I mean hardcore gamers like us)

14. Leo

Leo Community Manager Staff Member Legend Hero Warlord Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

That^

15. Leo

Leo Community Manager Staff Member Legend Hero Warlord Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

the name Aincrad is acceptable. They can't copyright every single name in the Anime. That'd be the same as DC comics copyrighting "Gotham" as a name.

16. Brodis

Brodis Adventurer Adventurer

I believe the game should be Buy 2 Play. $40-50 is not that much money (I understand that for some people it may be). I would gladly pay that much if I know that the game will be a higher quality. I'd rather not have bonus cosmetic items/mounts/anything shoved in my face if not needed. Immersion in the game is what you guys want (closest thing to full dive one can get in this day-and-age), and having to pay real money for stuff like that makes me think that the game will go down a path like other MMORPG's have gone, which is not good at all.

17. Mikage Nanatsusaya

Mikage Nanatsusaya Adventurer Adventurer

Honestly the concept of pay to win is terrible! It is completely unfair... there should be no payment for extra content... the only thing that should help you win the game is hard work and lots and lots of time grinding and finding new items and skills and making friends, guilds and etc... paying to win isn't to great...

The Hardcore mode will have the 3 deaths and you have to start all over again... the only issue would be if you are at such a high level on that character and you have to start all over again I'm sure not many people would be happy with having to put all those hours back into the game again! and it is possible for it to happen again... i suggest you pay to renew you 3 "lives", a small fee but enough to help support the maintenance of the servers etc...
    This is just and idea... but whether it happens or not is completely irrelevant...
    I'm good as long as there is no subscription fee! and this "lives" thing is what i have to pay for lol
    [​IMG]

18. _Middle_

_Middle_

I am planning on buying more than one thing from the cash shop. Mostly to support the game, not cause I want it, but if they do a good job with the items, I probably will want it. I wouldn't mind paying upfront to play the game, but I wouldn't want a subscription setup.