Game programming?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by SilverMagix, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:48 AM.

1. SilverMagix

SilverMagix

Heya guys! Quick question here.

For those of you who follow any kind of programming study (game programming, or something else of course) what can I expect from those kind of studies? I’m currently trying to decide between Music and programming (still got 3 years to decide). I love both, but I feel the latter is more useful. What are you guys your experiences with your studies, and how useful would a degree be? (I would have to put in a lot of work for both, so I really want to make a good decision).
    All answers are appreciated!

Regards,
    Jordi de Waard

2. Denian

Denian Minor Local Deity of Sarcasm | WebDev Staff Member Administrator Halloween VIP Dark Green VIP Black VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

I (unsuccessfully, due to the Numerical Analysis course) studied Scientific Programming, myself. If you ask me, any kind of programming course might be good to give you a general introduction, but the actual skill is 95% experience and only 5% reading up on things. Or, as I like to call it: Learning by failing, because learning by doing is bullshit.

My advice: Try learning the basics on your own (with an online tutorial or three) first. If you can't wrap your head around it, don't bother studying it, it's not really a teachable skill. Programming consists of a lot of intuitive problem solving, and without that intuition, you can learn the methods, but not how to actually apply them to anything significantly more complex than "simple" (as in "rigidly structured") maths.

For music... You should ask someone else.

PhantomFury likes this.
  3. SilverMagix

SilverMagix

I know. I already discussed the music part with my family, just came here solely for the programming part :p. I’ve been working through a book that the school recommended me (the school I want to go to) during an open day, and it’s been great fun so far haha. Just kinda hard to combine school, work, internship, music and programming, but I’ll do my best I guess :p. Once I’m through that book I guess I should start actually experimenting and stuff right?

4. Denian

Denian Minor Local Deity of Sarcasm | WebDev Staff Member Administrator Halloween VIP Dark Green VIP Black VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Best start experimenting while reading. Basically, wheneveryou learned something new, see how you can combine it with what you already know to get a feeling for it.

5. Tohuki

Tohuki

I am currently studying programming (2nd year of 4) and that's all i'm gonna say because i literally just forgot what did i want to write.

6. SilverMagix

SilverMagix

Aight, thanks :D

7. RobinHoodPT

RobinHoodPT Community Manager Staff Member Teal VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Oh damn. Can't choose between programming and music?
    Looks a bit like my case.
    It really depends on what you feel, music and programming, are both amazing stuff to do.
    If you feel like that you want to be most of your time with music, choose music, and do programming as a hobby, and vice-versa.

In my case I'm doing programming, and continue to play music as a hobby! You can definetly do both, you just need to find the right time and motivation for each of them.

SilverMagix likes this.
  8. SilverMagix

SilverMagix

Thanks for your input :p. The thing is, if I want to go the programming way (probably better for my future since there is more reliability and available jobs etc etc) I’ll have to do another 1-2 year study since I’m currently stuck in an Economics study (3 years left ugh). That’s kinda annoying as well, but perhaps the school has a special programme to offer for students like me. On the other hand, the conservatory I’d also love to go to has strict entry rules and (sorry, English is not my native language lol) entry exams (guess you could call it trials? Or entry requirements? Idk. Anyways, you have to play certain stuff in front of judges). What I am currently thinking of is, in 3 years, to do those entry exams and see if I pass or not. If I do, I’ll have to make a life changing decision :p. If I don’t I’ll invest all my time into programming, get a programming study and keep music as a background.
    Guess that’d be the best :p