In-Game Chat Mechanics

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Xander, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Xander

Xander

So, I understand that the in-game chat will be text-based. I would like to make to make suggestions to make it quite a bit more interesting, for what I believe to be little work.

I understand this might have already been touched on, and if so, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Possible uses for this (besides adding to the overall atmosphere of the game) could be:
    • A hearing skill tree: useful for pk guilds (not condoning) and kinda just a cool feature
    • A volume skill: can be used for whisper (to counteract hearing) and shout (to be heard further distances)
    While obviously not a huge thing, I think that this would make gameplay much more interesting, for just a bit of code.
    Also, it would be a bit more accurate to the show/real life (There's also a hearing skill in the show—see Kirito speaking with Silica in her room before their quest)

I'm java based, so I don't quite know the syntax necessary to make this work, but the code could be like this:

hearingDistance = hearingSkill + volume;
    public void receiveMessage(){
    if (sqrt((abs(Player.getX() - Speaker.getX()) + (abs(Player.getY() - Speaker.getY())) <= hearingDistance){
    chatField.setText(chatField.getText()+message);
    }
    }

2. RobinHoodPT

RobinHoodPT Community Manager Staff Member Teal VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Unfortunately this is not decided yet. But I think @Judah can give maybe some more information on this regard.

Don't forget to take in account privacy. Even though it's an interesting idea.

3. Judah

Judah Game Designer Staff Member Rainbow VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Thanks for the heads up @RobinHoodPT, and I apologize for the late response.

I like this idea, and we will absolutely be implementing methods to allow people to infiltrate and intrude on other people's conversations and plans without their knowledge. Unfortunately, one issue I can see being brought up is that in an MMORPG or any online game, people expect their private whispers to be private. Of course, we would not encourage players to share any important or personal information within their private messages, but it's bound to happen, and giving strangers the ability to access that information directly could cause some problems.

That said, I don't see how it'd be an issue for intruding upon guild chats. I'll definitely look into this more and see what our possibilities are, but be assured that we've got similar systems planned regardless. :)

Xander, RobinHoodPT and Ares like this.