Maybe a new demo...?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Aram Knight, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Aram Knight

Aram Knight

Before I start, I want to let you know that I am in no way saying "You need to speed up the making of the game." It's just a little idea I think would be interesting and I think it would be good to get people back into the community that left because they don't understand how long it takes to make a game like this (I sure don't). I know you're probably going to say no to this because it might ruin a little bit of the surprise when the game comes out, but it might be a good way to tide us gamers over until you can release the full game... So, here goes:

Well, after watching Ordinal Scale and SAO Abridged 11 I was like "Man, I would love to play AoA right now," but again, I know it will be a long while. Then I thought about the demo you created and how it was cool to run around the map and check it out, but there wasn't much to it. Well, then I started thinking and came up with a little idea to use the same map from the demo, but give us a basic character avatar to run around and kill monsters. I'm not asking for much from this, just a basic male or female (or gender-less) avatar with a sword and a few basic monsters on the map that we could fight and have fun on. Also, it would be a good way for the community to give feedback on whether we like the combat system or not.

Again, just an idea that might be a way to get some people back in the community and maybe even get some more. No need to crucify me if you don't want to follow this path, just a thought that I wanted to get out there. I'm just so excited for this game, that a little taste of it might be nice for now until it's completed.

Whitescythe, Slaghton and Hystero like this.
  2. Hystero

Hystero Guest

That sounds great! I would like to play a demo ^,^HYPE

Aram Knight likes this.
  3. Mathew

Mathew Red VIP Red VIP Seasoned Adventurer Adventurer Oldtimer

Good idea, if there was anything to test :Kappa:

4. Aram Knight

Aram Knight

I know, but I didn't mean this very minute, also they did release the alpha for a short while before it didn't work out so they must have something

5. Thaum

Thaum Cyan VIP Cyan VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

At least it would keep people from thinking that the existing demo is relevant to the game's current progress. I hope to see a demo sometime soon.

kirifan256 and Jorno like this.
  6. Tokikaze

Tokikaze Treasure Hunter Knight 2018 Red VIP Dark Green VIP Black VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Uh. The 11th chapter of the Abridged is out?
    Btw, the problem with a demo is that the dev team would need a running server that could hold a certain amount of players in a restricted area.
    Even if the demo wouldn't need a server in order to run, it would need at least a working game that would give a demonstration of the mechanics of the game.
    That means creating mobs for that specific area, give examples of what the game could do(for example, minor tasks such as fishing/woodcutting/etc.), add a minor quest that can be related or not to the main story. Creating a default armor and weapon set can be easy, but giving us enemies to beat up is quite hard, considering that all we had of animations for a mob are the ones from the golem and the goat.
    In conclusion? Yes, a demo could go. But not immediately. Maybe during summer(or late 2017, who knows?)

7. Mathew

Mathew Red VIP Red VIP Seasoned Adventurer Adventurer Oldtimer

No alpha. There was like a pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha kinda thing though

8. Aram Knight

Aram Knight

Yeah, SAOA 11 is out on Facebook cause YouTube took it down immediately :/

But what I meant was the demo that they made a while ago just use that map, a character and add a few enemies we could fight. I know it wouldn't come out tomorrow or anything, just within the near-ish future. Also, if you didn't play the demo it was just single player and that's what I just wanted this to be

9. Judah

Judah Game Designer Rainbow VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

There will definitely be something like this soon, but I won't promise you a date. The map we used for the demo is waaaay old, and we've got a significantly larger portion of our Level Design done. That playable area was only a small village, and we've now got forests and lakes, villages and cities, that kind of stuff. We're trying really hard to release something playable this year, hopefully during the Summer if we're lucky. You'll be sure to know when that happens!

Hystero, Aram Knight and Kathrall like this.
  10. Aram Knight

Aram Knight

Oh, thank you for the update! I kind of figured you guys had already thought of something like that but I just wanted to make sure. Also, with the old demo map I was only saying that because I didn't want to ask much of you guys because I can only imagine how hard it is to make a game like this. Thank you again and keep up the great work you guys, the game so far looks great!

11. Kathrall

Kathrall YGO 2015 1st Place Red VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

They wouldn't need a server because the demo wouldn't be online lol

12. Chaz

Chaz Seasoned Adventurer

I've been trying my best to help get us the minimal features we'd like for a public demo/alpha release. As Judah said, no promises but we're striving to show the community what we've been working on, and I'd like (no promises) for the next demo to have multiplayer in it. In my own opinion it's more likely the next demo has multiplayer, as I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Aram Knight likes this.
  13. Chaz

Chaz Seasoned Adventurer

That's not fair to say. We aren't promising it will be an online demo, but as we've demonstrated in public youtube/facebook videos before, we do have multiplayer functionality working. There would have to be an internal debate whether we would want to keep a server for such a (possibly) large public tester/playerbase. I would personally vote yes, but being a volunteer team, we need to think cost vs effectiveness. We'll have to see.

Hystero likes this.
  14. luigiFTW

luigiFTW Blue VIP Blue VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

As far as I have heard the combat system isn't made yet so I wouldn't expect that in the near future.

15. Kathrall

Kathrall YGO 2015 1st Place Red VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

did u not read any of the staff replies?

16. luigiFTW

luigiFTW Blue VIP Blue VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

I did. However they never said combat is would be in the demo and if it is I also said not in the near future which also goes along with thier replies. Also, as Chaz said they are trying to get the minimal features needed for a demo like this, which means we most likely will use a placeholder simple combat system rather than the real thing.
    Ps. This demo will definitely increase hype levels. I'm excited how fast this project it getting.

17. Kathrall

The whole point of the thread was for a demo with some combat

Chaz likes this.
  18. Chaz

Chaz Seasoned Adventurer

[​IMG]