My fear for this game (hope I'm wrong)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SilverMagix, Oct 29, 2018.

1. SilverMagix

SilverMagix

Hey guys, just wanted to let out some thoughts, and fears, I have for this game.

After having followed the development of this game for over a year, I keep thinking this game is just going to turn out like any medieval game. Don't get me wrong, by no means do I think you guys are doing poorly, or that I could do better. It's just this fear that I have of this becoming some kind of Age of Empires MMORPG game. No offense, but if you look at the latest post about the new armour for example. I really thought I was looking at some kind of Age of Empires or something, and it makes me a little sad. Now, I'm not entirely against a medieval game like that, but I would love it if some elements from for example SAO could be reflected in the game, since it is inspired by it. I don't expect a copy of SAO, but I'm kind of missing the link between SAO and this game at the moment, and it worries me.

I hope you guys can prove me wrong in the end, but I just felt like letting out my thoughts and seeing what others think about it.

Regards,

Whitescythe likes this.
  2. Harhin

Harhin

Imeanaso intensifies (wrong age of empires but I really wanted to say it).

SilverMagix likes this.
  3. PhantomFury

PhantomFury Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Erm, for the people that never played AoE, (such as myself) could you elaborate more on those fears?

4. SilverMagix

SilverMagix

Played that game AGES ago. The point I was trying to make was that I fear this game will be another one of those Medieval knights kind of game. Where you play a knight and fight monsters. Nothing SAO related. What I wish is to find some elements of SAO back in this game.

5. Black Abyss

Black Abyss Lead Designer Staff Member Administrator Black VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Hey @SilverMagix!
    Sorry for the late reply, I was a bit busy this week but I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

First of all let me assure you, if we wanted a medieval MMORPG we'd go play that, we don't want to make another clone game of the other 500 MMO's on the market, because that'd be pretty much a waste of our time, and that's not what we're about.

When it comes to showing our inspiration of SAO in AoA, it's highly reflective in the world building, level design, mechanics and the surroundings of the player. While there are elements like the obsidian armor, which as you said might feel a bit medieval, we're trying to stray from that kind of feeling for the overall game.

Many elements that made SAO big and pushed us to make AoA in the first place were things like the scale of the world, the way the progression pushed players onwards up higher and higher, the variety of floors and environments, the amazing monsters, the clothes design (like that sweet, sweet coat), the cool mechanics and fast paced combat the anime presented.

We are trying to get all of that in, and keep it as close to what we loved about SAO while still making it functional in an actual game and not get into property theft territory. Many mechanics presented in the anime sounded amazingly cool, but a big majority would have quite a few issues working in an actual MMO game. We're trying to improve upon mechanics presented in the anime, expanding upon the combat system showed therein and replicating that feeling of progression we felt when watching the players climb floor after floor.

Big boss doors? Check. Those big, hefty bosses at the end of a dungeon? We have that. Player crystals? In as well.
    No ranged weapons, fast paced combat movement and abilities, a variety of skills you can focus on instead of just grinding mobs, different eco-systems for each floor, deep storylines that (try to) get you invested in the setting and characters, that's all in or planned. We want the game to be flashy and explosive, we want to make it feel and look as good as we possibly can while not trying to alienate big parts of the community from enjoying it. That armor is just one of many done and many more planned, but we're on a limited budget and time frame, so we're trying to produce content as efficiently as possible while being aware of our limitations.

We're getting closer and closer to the point where we'll be able to show more than just screenshots, art etc. but getting the base for the game done, the whole backend, networking takes a lot of time and effort - we need to finish all that up to a playable state before we can fully showcase the content everyone would like to see. It's not like we don't want to just record gameplay and post it either, it haunts us on a daily basis - we're probably more eager to just show everyone than everyone wants to actually see it.

So far we're highly proud and happy with what we achieved but there's still a lot to do, and if there's something we'd like to avoid after working for so long on the game, it's disappointing people. I hope the answer is more or less satisfactory for the time being.

If you got any questions, hit me up and I'll try to answer whenever I possibly can.

6. SilverMagix

SilverMagix

Hey Black Abyss,
    Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. I read through it, and I'm glad to hear you're not planning to completely remove the "fantasy" part in the game. I understand that some things in the Anime cannot be put in an actual game, and I noticed some examples of that while watching the Anime myself too. It's actually funny, because your reply really made me think about just how complex the world of Aincrad actually is.

Very happy to hear that this isn't gonna be a "clone game of the other 500 MMO's". I want this game to be unlike any other game in its genre, and it seems you people want the same thing.

It seems like I don't have anything to worry about, and just like the rest, I'll be waiting for future updates :p.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to answer my question :).

Black Abyss likes this.
  7. Edo

Edo Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

great response, in the Spanish forum we still have a little faith, encourage, the developers do it well. TwT

Black Abyss likes this.