Permanent Red Player Cursors

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Senji, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Senji

Senji Cyan VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer Alpha Key Holder

I read through the other PK and cursor related threads, but I don't think I saw something like this. I read the thread about the duration of which the red or orange cursor stays, but I don't think this specific aspect came up.
    I know that AoA will not necessarily copy all aspects of SAO, but I think that this feature will be neat to implement. In the light novels, a player temporarily will receive an orange icon when killing or committing crimes, but after a certain number of crimes or kills have been taken by one player, their color icon will permanently change to an orange color.
    I think it would be cool for after passing a certain number of inclement points or killing a set number of people (cumulative) the red icon (AoA) will be permanent.
    Perhaps have the number be a significant number like 22 green player kills? (22 for the year SAO was made), or something like that.

Any thoughts?
    (Sorry if this thread might seem slightly repetitive or a thread similar to this came up already)
    :confused:enji:

Wrysi likes this.
  2. Nelchael

Nelchael Purple VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Makes sense. If you've killed over 20 green players, you're unlikely to stop anytime soon. I still think there should be a way for this kind of player to switch back to green (maybe using an expensive item?) but making it so the red mark doesn't just go away by itself if you've killed enough people sounds logical.

Wrysi and Leo like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Halloween VIP Halloween VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

I agree with the second post, it's a good idea, and there should be an extremely expensive way to fix it.

Leo likes this.
  4. Reach

Reach Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Maybe as you kill more people the time it takes for orange to go away keeps increasing? Non linearly, even.

Red also shouldn't go away ever imo, or at least be a very difficult quest or hard to find item

5. Senji

Senji Cyan VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer Alpha Key Holder

I like your guy's ideas, and I agree that the item should be extremely rare or a hefty amount of Col. However I was thinking like this:
    Until the PKer hits the number of kills where upon his cursor turns a permanent red, the crimes he commits every time he kills the time it takes for the cursor to revert to green increases. This way, more kills = more punishment as more kills usually happen was people progress throughout the game. High risk = high reward.
    This would fit the hardcore server, as lives are very precious in that server.

Zerith likes this.
  6. Ayy Lmao

Ayy Lmao

We've not talked permanent before because it's a dumb idea. Permanent implies that it can never be removed. What you're suggesting is a system where your Red status does not decay. Go look at Archeage's Infamy and Crime point systems, it's basically the same mechanically as what you're proposing.

7. Caesar

Caesar Halloween VIP Halloween VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Not really because it is much harder to get rid of those

8. Shijohane

Shijohane Lead Concept Artist Staff Member Teal VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Alpha Key Holder

I agreed with this idea, the more you kill, the longer time you should stay red. But what happen if a red player got arrested by a bounty hunter? How about resetting the cursor after the player get released from the jail? And if the player PK even once, the cursor jumps to red again because of his/her previous record.

9. xXxKritioFanboyxXx

xXxKritioFanboyxXx

This has been discussed before. Go look for the thread.

10. Shijohane

Shijohane Lead Concept Artist Staff Member Teal VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Alpha Key Holder

Oh, my bad, sorry about that. :p

11. Itsigu

Itsigu

I like the idea that it would take a hard quest or a crap load of kol to get rid of the red cursor.

Because if the penalty for killing some one is 1 day red cursor. Then they wait that one day then kill someone else. After a month that's 31 kills and he acan still have a green cursor.

12. Caesar

The time increases after each kill tho I think so it'd be longer than a month

13. Skigh

Skigh Seasoned Adventurer

You guys are so mean to the pkers xD anyway even if this system is set up the pk guild wouldnt have an issue with it as they would be killing and taking stuupid ammounts of col from there kills anyway

14. Shijohane

Well of course we must do that, PK-ing especially on the hardcore server is a big thing.

15. dragrn

dragrn Purple VIP Purple VIP Seasoned Adventurer

This is why anti pk guilds are a thing.
    lol but seriously we're not being mean towards pkers by supporting this idea. In a game where a justice system exists, going against that system should hold a high amount of risk. I mean I respectfully despise pkers but ideas like this are simply with the intention of fairness.
    Now I really like and support this idea because provides a way to make it harder on repeat offenders, especially if they're idiot red soloers.

Also Archeage has a terrible justice system. Can we try not to reference it when discussing AoA?

Zerith likes this.
  16. Skigh

Skigh Seasoned Adventurer

It wasnt my intention to deffend the pkers.... xD anyway its a goood idea

17. Griffith

Griffith Adventurer Adventurer

Personally I wouldn't mind a 1 month red tag, but if it was up to me I'd decrease that to 1 day and double the time every time you kill a green player.

For example:

Player 1 (Green) kills Player 2 (Green) = 1 day Red tag
    Player 1 (Red) kills Player 3 (Green) = + 2 days Red tag
    Player 1 (Red) kills Player 4 (Green) = + 4 days Red tag
    etc.

So theoretically one could accumulate a 100 year red tag.

Senji and dragrn like this.
  18. Anon

Anon Black VIP Warlord Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Agree with the second method that way players would be actually be forced to put themselves at risk to revert to green but I think you should stay red for 24 hours to prevent someone from just becoming green right after they pk because they bought the item before hand.

19. Ardy McHardy

Ardy McHardy Seasoned Adventurer

Make item only useable at certain NPC. Problem solved.
    Green players would be able to camp because of this, so red's won't exactly have an easy time flipping back to green.

20. Anon

Anon Black VIP Warlord Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

That also works