Removing Protection in Towns

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ares, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Ares

Ares Purple VIP Purple VIP Black VIP Seasoned Adventurer Adventurer

What do you guys think about having the possibility to remove your protection in protected zones? Only the players that also remove their protection can deal damage. So if one player removes his protection and no one else does, then he can't deal or take any damage until another player removes their 'protection charm.'

2. Denian

Denian Minor Local Deity of Sarcasm | WebDev Staff Member Administrator Halloween VIP Dark Green VIP Black VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Why not just go with duels, then? I mean, I guess it would allow group vs group fights in cities, but... Do you really have to fight those where other people want to shop etc.?

Not saying the idea doesn't have merit, I just don't understand in which situations you'd want to do this.

Revan3917 likes this.
  3. Ares

I guess possibly if the town doesn't have a place to duel. Would duels allow more than 4 or 5 players on either side? I just randomly thought of that idea I just wanted some opinions haha

4. Denian

Denian Minor Local Deity of Sarcasm | WebDev Staff Member Administrator Halloween VIP Dark Green VIP Black VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Fair enough. I don't think I remember any game with "group duels", though I think it should be possible in combination with teams. I can also imagine that some people actually want to walk around without protection just for the thrill.

I'll bring it up with the team. In the meantime, here's food for thought:
    1. Would the fact that somebody abandoned their protection be visible or hidden? Hidden would mean some people would go around and just try hitting everybody, which I would find annoying, tbh., but it would allow us to add some kind of detection skill that enables you to see the protection status.
    2. Would this only be possible in special places in town - the arena, for example, if there is one?
    3. If we go with the "hidden" status: Would there be penalties for trying to attack a protected player? Like, if an NPC guard catches you, they'll attack you?

TamaLuna likes this.
  5. Ares

1) I think that it should have some effect or sound when a player activates it. This alerts other players around them that they have removed their protection, and if, for example, another player decides to remove his own protection in order to fight that player, then the player who first removed it would notice that someone removed theirs to start a fight. A cooldown or activation time may be appropriate.
    2) I was thinking about it being any place in town so that anything could happen at any time if they remove their protection.
    3) I would imagine that players just wouldn't be able or try to deal damage to protected players, but an NPC taking action if a player does it repeatedly sounds pretty reasonable

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    TamaLuna likes this.
  6. Denian

'k. Well, I threw this thread's link into the "hey, I think this is relevant" part of the staff room. Sadly, lack of internet access at home still prevents me from bringing it up during a team meeting, but maybe someone with deciding powers will turn up here, anyways?

Meanwhile, I'll just summarize my opinion as "I think this could be a good idea that may, depending on the actual way we add it, lead to amusing situations".

Ares likes this.
  7. Ares

A sound and visual effect would be really important for this feature if it is considered. This alerts other players around them that they have removed their protection, and if, for example, another player decides to remove his own protection in order to fight that player, then the player who first removed it would notice that someone removed theirs to start a fight.