Suggest an in-game skill!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Draulon, May 30, 2015.

1. Draulon

Draulon Lead Game Designer Staff Member Seasoned Adventurer Adventurer Oldtimer Alpha Key Holder

Hey-Hey.

So as I wrote in the latest blog entry on the homepage - we are currently working and designing the in-game skills. Naturally to make sure we didn't miss out on a good idea - we would like to ask you guys to share your ideas and thoughts on what skills we should implement in Age of Aincrad.
    The only guidelines:
    - Keep in mind that these are not Combat Skills (Abilities), but professions such as woodcutting, mining, thieving and so on.

Other than that - anything goes! If we like the suggestion we will think about it and try to implement it!

2. SW1PE

SW1PE Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

-Spear skills : #1= Throw then a quick dash to the enemy hit by the spear (not a ranged attack , in fact you come onto him)
    #2= 3-Hit combo stab

#3= You do an air spin hiting everyone in front and behind you.

3. Leo

Leo Community Manager Staff Member Legend Hero Warlord Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

SW1PE, read Draulon's post again.
    Running/speed skill, do you have that on the list? a running skill that can be upgraded would be nice

4. Draulon

Draulon Lead Game Designer Staff Member Seasoned Adventurer Adventurer Oldtimer Alpha Key Holder

Thank you for the suggestion SW1PE but please refer to the guidelines when suggesting.
    We would like strictly profession suggestions and not combat abilities.

5. SW1PE

SW1PE Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

oh sorry i forgot :eek:

I am just going to .... you know... leave...

Climbing probably.

[MOD]: Merged double post

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2015
  6. Illyon

Illyon Pokémon Master | Treasure Hunters God Christmas VIP Halloween VIP Blue VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Professions you say? If we leave out the standard stuff that's already been mentioned, I'll suggest this:

Plant gathering & hunting. Both give ingredients for cooking meals. From what I've read we only have a "Fishing" skill, leaving our meals a bit monotone if everything is based on seafood. Using different types of ingredients could increase the total value of the resulting item, increasing buff duration or strength. It'll also make cooking a viable economy skill, since you'll have to buy more ingredients (or gather them by yourself) for better results, which increases the price of a cooked item.

Maybe you could also extract certain goods from gathered plants, which can then be used in various ways... like making dye to colour furniture that's been crafted from wood, or as a certain ingredient for crafting crystals (was this the Alchemy skill?). Also, certainly useful for potions and poisons (added suggestion by Zeke ↓)

Atradese, Ares, Draulon and 1 other person like this.
  7. Zeke

Zeke Shoutbox Ban Rainbow VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Or even stun and poison liquids to apply to a weapon.

8. Illyon

Illyon Pokémon Master | Treasure Hunters God Christmas VIP Halloween VIP Blue VIP Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

I forgot that, yes ^^ What'd we do without a paralysing dagger.

9. Thommy

Thommy Resident Neko Pink VIP Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

A must have in any MMORPG is the skill Pantsu Peeping,
    the name explain pretty much what it is, you try to sneak a peek at girls their panties.
    requirements to gain experience: "Succesfully get a glance of a girl's pantie for 2.5 seconds."

10. Anon

Anon Black VIP Warlord Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Tracking skill which gives you the players position at first it might be not that accurate meaning it will give the relative location of a player, but when you master it you can get the exact position of the player.

Jason likes this.
  11. Kigana

Kigana Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

You guy might be aware of this list but if you haven't it should be at least a little bit useful:
    http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Skills

If you scroll down to support skills it gives a list of all of the non-combat skills from the anime/Light Novels. Obviously more could be added but some that really catch my eye are:
    -Acrobatics (Jump Height + Ability for aerial maneuvers, very interesting that this levels with use)
    -Blunt/Thrust/Slash weapon forging (Obvious but interesting that they would be three separate skills)
    -Straining (increased hearing distance)
    -Weapon Appraisal + Sales Negotiation (Interesting to see such economic skills)

Obviously you can see the rest on the Wiki, these are just some that caught my eye.

One question however, do you plan on sticking with the SAO style of limiting player skills? In SAO you only had a limited number of skill slots and had to switch out skills accordingly. I hope that this is what you plan to do, but was just a little bit concerned after reading the blog post in which the phrasing sounded like gathering skills would be very MMO-like in which you would be able to gather all the time. I could be wrong, just want a little clarification.

12. Erebus

Erebus Grey VIP Grey VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

idk about this or how it'd fit in to the game but you could be a translator deciphering some old language or create your own new language for the game that you find at some ruin engraved and once the player finds out what it says it give the player xp to use for harder languages are more complicated sentences and what it says can deal with the lore or the history of aoa and maybe tell you a location of a treasure? plus you could insert riddles of all sorts so they couldn't go straight to the treasure. May be over complicated and hard to do but that's just something I thought of.

Sindify, Jason and Calebbait like this.
  13. Anon

Anon Black VIP Warlord Veteran Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

The profession you described is linguist and you could call the skill decipher :D

14. Erebus

xD I was going for translator but thanks for correcting me but you get the main idea lol

15. Veledris

Veledris Rainbow VIP Rainbow VIP Adventurer

Had a few thoughts, one of the more obvious ones is tailoring. The ability to craft capes/cloaks and cosmetic clothing. It seems a little under powered so perhaps giving them the ability to enhance specific pieces of armor would make it more viable. eg. add +5 potential upgrades to a shoulder piece or something of that nature. Method of construction would be similar to leather working.

Another could be inscription. Making scrolls that give temporary buffs such as +X health regen per 10 seconds while in combat. You would need to make it so you could only have a limited number of scroll buffs at any time so that it didn't become a requirement. In order to make the scrolls you would require paper and ink. The strength of a scroll, in addition to your level of the skill, would be determined by a mini-game in which you need to mimic as best you can a number of glyphs by tracing them with your mouse cursor.

That's all I've got for now, will do some more thinking and post any more I come up with.

Jason likes this.
  16. Erebus

wouldn't the inscription with the scrolls be basically like magic?

17. Veledris

Veledris Rainbow VIP Rainbow VIP Adventurer

it's close but i'd personally put them in the same boat as healing/teleport crystals

18. Erebus

hmm maybe xD every game I've ever played scrolls were magical so that's all I have to go off of

19. Deka

Deka Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

@Veledris Or scrolls could be replaced by potions and medical items (like pills), taking the time to gather ingredients and recipes would make it worth instead of scrolls, so as Erebus said, scrolls would be more like magic imo. In the end, the idea would be like the herblore skill of Runescape but with a more complex making process of course.

20. Alpacalypse

Alpacalypse Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Dual welding so that you can weld two things at once. A minor blacksmithing ability

Jason likes this.