Writing World of Sword and Sorcery

Discussion in 'Share your own project' started by Takita, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Takita

Takita Shoutbox DJ | TakiRoll | Goddess of Lewd Light Purple VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

So this is the first time i've actually done this. I'm gladly accepting critisim so I know what I can improve with my writing. I hope you enjoy it. >u<
    I also want to thank @Hazzard for the title, he @Hime @Nelchael @Senji and @Storm @GriffithKun helped with proofreading so thank you :doki:
    @XenoWarrior also forced me to post it here. orz.
    @Matvyn helped with the last touches. c;

EDIT 1: I would like to say that i'm re-writing this story and have made changes to the plot and added on elements. With this said I will tag people that had read the story to give them the ability to read the new version of it. Please enjoy
    War demands sacrifice of the people. It gives only suffering in return.

Darkness cannot live without the light and the light cannot live without the darkness. Yet every day is a constant battle between the two. For numerous years the holy war against the demon king had taken place in the continent of Freij. What once had been beautiful cities was there no longer and for each day that passed, the hope of a world free from the chaos grew weaker. Four powerful nations came hand in hand to fight the evil that had invaded their land.

The two oldest nations, Abros and Oslana had for many years stood back to back against the threat yet never taken actions toward the King they had sworn loyalty towards. Having a high value in their nation's pride turned against them. As the Demon King grew through the black magic of foreign descent their nations suffered. Everything the dark magic touched turned into ashes, sickened animals and drove their citizens into mindless monsters. Esna, being the youngest nation out of the four had always been against the King as they believed in democracy as the nation was previous part of a civil war started by unfair work conditions and starvation.

The civil war ended with the royal family getting killed by the people, being the first and only nation ruled by it’s citizens in a democratic manner. Ruled by the round table of ten members, men and women from around the kingdom. Weakened by the long civil war, Esna choose to stay out of any wars created by the other nations. However citizens of Esna could not stand and watch as their surrounding nations fought for their freedom and safety. This created the Divine Isle, a volunteer organisation formed by adventurers to protect people and join the battle against the Demon King. However the road was long before they could ever reach the numbers needed to join the Abros and Oslana army up north.

‘’ かんぱい (Kanpai!)’’
    The heavy glasses of alcohol clashed together creating a clinking sound as the transparent sides met, causing a younger woman to spill her beloved drink. Giggles filled the little room as five people sat cramped together,enjoying the short break together but despite their comfort something was creating tension in the air. The air that had previously been filled with happiness and excitement over the new year was dull, suger coated with fake smiles and laughs. Gulping down her drink, Takita stood up, wiped her mouth before she excused herself. Unable to walk straight, she wobbled like a penguin towards the door, the chilly air creeping up her skin leaving shivers behind. The dark brown coat didn’t give Takita much protection against the cold winter air but the alcohol in her body kept her warm. A strand of dark brown hair covered a pair of crystal blue eyes as she fumbled with the flyer Takita had managed to step on just a moment ago. However with the amount of alcohol in her blood it was almost impossible for her eyes to pick up what was in front of her eyes.

With a sigh that escaped Takita’s pink lips, the woman buried her nose into the dark paper only to be left with more frustration. After a good few minutes she could finally make out a few words that left her with a chuckle.

‘’ The Divine Isle, huh? ‘’ Takita mumbled for herself while leaning against the wooden wall behind her. Everybody knew who they were, a suicide squad. Wanting to stand up for their people yet killing themselves in the process. Despite this it stilled peaked her interest and with a drunken mind, the young woman decided to do something other than drinking her days away with strangers at the Inn.

Silence was the first thing Takita noticed as she stared at the wooden ceiling meeting her blue eyes, hugging the second pillow that was supposed to be under her head. This was the normal view for the young woman as she desperately tried to recall the other night but with a memory foggy from alcohol it was all in vain. Still a bit groggy after the sleepless night, the woman pinched herself but only to be met by the short-lived stinging pain that spread across her fragile pale skin. Takita often thought about how her body haven't given up her despite her alcohol intake. A short breath slipped past her lips as she tried to sit up only to feel a heavy weight holding her down. Mildly annoyed over the disturbance, Takita tried to collect her thoughts as she turned to see what was holding her down. Only to meet the messy pile of her armor.

‘’ Right.. The recruitment.‘’ repeating the word for herself as some kind of reminder while she stood up and pulled a blue shirt over her head. The fabric felt soft against her skin compared to the harsh surface of the bed she slept it. Takita looked around as she yawned while strapping on her metal chest piece with marks from previous battles. Tired eyes looked over at the door where her one-handed sword was resting, rusty from the poor caretaking the young woman had given it.

When Takita had finished strapping on her light metal armor that was covering her chest, lower arm and hands but also up to her knees yet leaving her calf open for direct hits. As she stretched a the cracking sound of her back filled the room before heavy footsteps followed. Slowly opening the door to the room she was renting, Takita attached the little pouch to her belt as she skipped a few steps down the stairs leading to the main room where the older man owning the building usually sat.

‘’ Going out to do some more small jobs? ‘’ he asked, voice like a bass amp. Fitting perfectly with his beard and muscular figure. If she didn’t knew him as well as she did, Takita would have easily found him frightening.

‘’ Nope not today, Hector ‘’ she placed her hands behind her neck and stood on her toes, giggling slightly before the stopped to think if telling him would be a great idea. After a short moment Takita decided that it didn’t matter if the older man knew or not, after all he couldn’t stop her.

‘’ I’m checking out the recruitment for The Divine Isle ‘’ she added and took a step back as Hector looked at her quietly before he cleared his throat and threw her a big grin.

‘’ So you’re finally doing something with yourself. Yezz, I was wondering how long I would have to live with your ass at my Inn. ‘’

Takita poked her tongue out before she turned around, threw her hand up in the air to signal that she was leaving without responding to his comment. However by this point he would already know what her reply would be.

Walking down the quiet and windy street, the young woman attached her coat once more to stop the chilly winds to freeze her on stop and for the short distance to the plaza it did it’s job. To her surprise the plaza was rather empty compared to the fame the organisation had gathered throughout the continent however not all of it was great. As she looked around with tired eyes the young woman smirked as a familiar face was quickly found as he was leaning against his halberd, white hair caught by the wind were styled so they wouldn't cover his tired eyes, eyes that somehow never ceased to amaze by how much they glimmered of excitement.

‘’ Oi Specter! ‘’ she shouted with her hands on each side of her mouth. The elven warrior turned around with a raised eyebrow as his green eyes met hers.

‘’ How could I forget a loud-mouthed companion like you? ‘’ it was more of a question towards himself than her but Takita still chose to give him a response.

‘’ You forgot about me? Ouchie. ‘’ she said sarcastically as she placed her hands above her heart making it seem like she was heartbroken over the fact.

An unexpected punch from Specter caught her off guard but he was slow enough for her to dodge it simply by sliding to her left. A chuckle left Takita’s dry lips as she rested her hand against the hilt of the sword resting against the warriors hip. The cold breeze caught their hair and gently played with it was more and more adventurers entered the plaza. Patiently waiting for whatever announcement that would be given.

It didn’t take long for a deep voice to silence the crowd of all kinds. The man standing on a bench a bit further down from the pair was wearing a simple cotton shirt with a pair of dark pants, sword resting against his back. Specter leaned against his Halberd with a sigh, bored out of his mind as he looked at Takita in the corner of his eye.

‘’ People of Esna! I am humbled by you accepting the invite the the divine isle. My name is Grim, the founder of the divine isle ‘’ Grim was rather young compared to the rumours as his wild dark locks was standing up, giving the vibe that he just had woken up. The previous chatter between the crowd had calmed down and every now and then the sound of weapon being put to rest could be heard.

‘’ I am tired of the round-table doing nothing! Our brother and sisters in the other nations is putting their life on the edge as we, people of Esna just watch as their blood spill in the battle field but i’ve had enough of unnecessary bloodshed. ‘’ Taking a deep breath Grim grabbed the hilt of his sword and swiftly pulled it out of it’s shed.

‘’ Join us in the fight against the king! Be praised like heroes for generations. Take back a kingdom that was once ours! Ruled by the people willing to fight, raise your weapons and fight with us! ‘’

Hesitation met his speech as many took a second look around them. Mumble of the people spread as many started leaving. Yelling that it was all an act however a handful stayed. Proudly raising their weapons towards the crystal clear sky.

Joining the Divine Isle had been a lot rougher than Takita had originally thought. Without any of the new recruits having done basic training on combat or how to work as a team, Grim had ordered them to start right away. After the first recruitment, The Divine Isle had only grown bigger to the point where it could now use the sparring area owned by the royal army of Esna. It was located by a castle outside the city, hiding behind the protection of the forest. With the royal army guarding the northern ends of the continent, the castle was left for the Divine Isle to use. Leaving many of the recruits with chores outside battle, such as cooking and cleaning. According to Grim it was such as good training as the one you receive under the hands of the Commander.

Heavy breathing filled Takita’s ears as she leaned back against the tree behind her, enjoying the cold breeze as the sweat was shimmering on her pale skin under the sudden heat that hit Esna, showing clear signs of spring. Slowly cracking her left eye open as the sun suddenly disappeared, Takita looked up and felt how her breathing stopped in her throat. To her surprise, Grim was looking over her with wrinkles on his forehead from the frustration over seeing her slacking. Takita gave him an apologising smile before she grabbed his hand that Grim held out before her and stood up on her own two feet.

“I hope you know what you’re getting into.” he stated with clear annoyance as a sigh later left his lips, worried about the young candidate before him.

“I know you are skilled with the sword Takita, but you cannot for the love of god work in a party.” Grim continued as he backhanded her as she walked past him towards the sparring area where she belonged.

“I get it, I get it. Yeez you’re like my old man.” Takita mumbled bitterly as she started jogging towards the sparring area as the instructor was collecting the new recruits for yet another introduction, just like the one the day before. It felt like a bit of a waste to spend a wonderful sunny day like this one training but already having Grim on her case, Takita didn’t dare to disobey any further orders given. However Specter was nowhere to be seen as she looked around for the tall elven warrior.

“The bastard probably managed to charm Grim into giving him kitchen duty, again” she thought as the instructor's words went past her head which turned out to be a great mistake on her part.

Suddenly realising she was standing alone in the middle. Takita looked around with confusion as she clumsy managed to catch the wooden sword that was thrown her way.

“Ah! A volunteer, how fantastic” the instructor stated as he grinned. The instructor was just a few years older than herself yet he had a impressive scar going from his forehead to the corner of his mouth.

Takita bit her tongue as she swore quietly at herself for not paying attention to something important. Before she could even think about asking what she had volunteered for, Takita felt how the air in her lungs got forced out of her as she slammed against the ground beneath her feet, creating a slightly transparent cloud of dust around her. His sword had hit her ankle, swooping her off her feet without any trouble as gravity did the rest of the work for him by bringing her down. Coughing as she covered her mouth with her hand, Takita sat up with tears in her eyes as they became irritated from the sand.

“Wh-What was that about?!” she spat out while rubbing the back of her head that Grim had hit earlier but her question only got met by laughter as the Instructor put his wooden sword back into the ground.

“You need to be aware of your surroundings Miss, being distracted like that will get you killed in the battle field” the sudden change in his voice held back any further questions Takita had, of course she knew how important this was. Just like everyone else she had also lost loved ones in the constant battle against the temptations of the black magic lingering.

With only a grunt as a reply, Takita stood up and held the wooden blade towards the ground. Her short hair was now like a birds nest, wild and uncontrollable. Rubbing her eyes as they continued to tear up from the sand that irritated them, Takita took a step back and took a deep breath before she held the sword with both hands, in the height of her elbow. Waiting for yet another strike from the instructor.

The man swung his own wooden sword in a motion of an 8 before he held it in one hand, looking her straight in the eyes. The instructors dark green eyes sent shivers down her back as he pierced her with them. Takita bit her tongue as she waited, knowing that if she went for the first strike he would have her down within a few seconds. The tension in the air got worse the longer the pair waited. However when she least expected it, he charged towards her and went for the blow. Despite him being quite a big man he moved quite smoothly. Takita held her breath as she pushed off the ground with her left foot, avoiding the low blow that would have hit her ankle yet again. She quickly rolled to her left, landing on her unprotected knee.

Breathing out in relief, Takita stood up and held the wooden sword close to her chest, breathing heavily from the sudden pressure she had put her body under.

“You ain’t too shabby when you put your mind into it, dear” The instructor turned around to face her, looking more interested than he had done earlier. Feeling slightly insulted by his statement, Takita charged at him with a blow that would hit his stomach but as expected it only met the hard wooden sword, the sound of the two meeting echoed in the sparring area causing the two to be in a battle of strength.

Feeling how the wooden sword was slipping against his grip, Takita pushed herself backwards to create some distance between the two but it was in vain as he quickly charged towards her, catching her off guard as the hilt of his wooden sword hit her unprotected stomach. Takita fell down upon all four as she grasped for air in the same manner as earlier, tears building up in her eyes as the painful hit was nothing she expected.

“You still have a long way to go before you’re ready for battle”

Bitter over his statement, Takita stood up and wiped the dust of her clothing as she threw the wooden sword back at him and went back to her previous place between the other recruits. From that point forward the day felt long and dreaded. After many more attempts she was only met with failures as she tried to overtake the instructor. However there was still chances for her to redeem herself. Takita sat down as she huffed for air as the sweat dripped from her chin. The instructor now had them fight each other and despite her knowledge with the sword the young woman found it difficult as her opponents had previously been animals or thickheaded thugs.

As Takita leaned against her sword to take a deep breath, a sudden gust of wind took her by surprise as a hooded figure walked past her and into the sparring area. Small in figure yet heavy steps as the figure kept walking.

“Let me fight one of your men” the voice was smooth like butter and felt rather feminine but Takita could not be sure as it might as well be a premature man. The instructor looked around before he waved over one of the bigger men that was around the recruits. Jeff, as he was called was an axe wielder and quite big for his size as he probably was around 6ft tall.

The brute scoffed at the thought of being pitted against such a small opponent, like it was some sort of joke.

“Commander, why am I fighting the small fry” he jests, poking fun at his heavily robed opponent. " Hey guys, I'll end this in three hits" Jeff boasts loudly, gaining the attention of all of the nearby recruits.

Takita sat down as she put her hair up in a small ponytail, letting the breeze touch her hot nape as Specter showed up next to her.

“Let’s make a bet” he whispered with a smirk, making Takita jump as the elf had creeped up on her.

“Jesus christ, Specter where on earth have you been?” she spat out the words like he had offended her as Takita rested her hand against her heart.

“I’ll tell you if you win the bet. If you lose, you’ll give me 5 gold.” Specter held up a hand showing five fingers to make it clear that it was exactly what he wanted. Despite being an elf, Specter had always had a gambling problem and money was his favourite reward. The curiosity got the better of Takita as she agreed to his terms. If the brute won, the information was hers. If the opponent won, the money was his.

Jeff rushes the small opponent with his wooden axe in both hands. Swinging its massive weight to land what would have been a deadly blow, he brings it down on top on the robed character. The mysterious character easily avoids the deadly but slow blow by doing a quick spin to their right as they now stood next to Jeff. Slender fingers grabbing his wrist and a loud crack took place prior to the clunk of the wooden axe hitting the ground, without a doubt, his wrist was broken and he was disarmed. The crowd cringed at the sound and Takita looked away as his wrist was pointing in an unnatural way.

“You scum” Jeff yelled with frustration and pain as he lunged forward to punch the robed character but he quickly falls over as they kicked his ankle.

“That's enough!” yelled the instructor who only just now realised what had happened. Nervous chatter spread as the recruits closest to the sparring area tried to hold back their surprise to the results of the duel. As Takita and Specter had done many others also placed bets on which fighter they would expect to win. However it was only Specter that managed to gain anything from the sudden duel.

“I would like to have the money you owe me, Takita.”

Takita made a disgusted noise while she opened a trade with her friend. With a smirk on his face Spectre leaned against his Halberd, playing with the coins in his hand.

“Always a pleasure to make bets with you.”

Jeff that was in agony quickly stood up like nothing had happened, humiliated after being beaten by a nobody. Only a blind idiot would miss his anger that was directed towards the newcomer. As the hooded character turned their back towards them, Jeff took the chance to rip the hood of them with great strength. Causing them to wobble from the sudden force. The fabric ripped without much resistance but despite being revealed, it was nobody Takita knew.

However her previous suspicions was right. It was indeed a woman that was behind the dark robe, shocked hazel eyes stared at Jeff as her cat-like features was visible. This was the first time Takita had ever seen a Kalar. A race that spoke their own language and often kept away from the rest as they had been hunted for their soft fur.

Short light brown hair was caught in the wind as the Kalar stood quietly and watched as Jeff still held her robe. The yellow cat-like eyes stared at him for a good few seconds before she forced it out of his hand.

“Humans are so pathetic” she spat out in disgust before she continued to walk towards the castle behind them. Takita threw a glance towards Specter that was just as surprised as she was, before she stood up and walked down to the sparring area, with her own robe in her hand. From Takita’s previous knowledge about Kalars they came in two sub-races, Moonlight and Starlight Kalar. There was not much of a difference between the two as far as the eye could notice but in battle it was obvious. Moonlight Kalars had an over hand in combat during the night as their night-vision was superior against any other race. They also had an overhand in dark magic, much like the foreign magic that the Demonic king had got his hands upon. Dark magic haven’t always been used for evil as it’s traced back for generations in the Moonlight tribe Despite that, they were still blamed for the uprising of the hell that was released upon the citizen of Freij.

Nonetheless the Kalar before her was a Starlight Kalar without a doubt. The light colour of her fur and the star on her forehead was enough for Takita to figure it out on her own. Being the exact opposite of Moonlight Kalars, the starlight kalars was superior in light magic and enchantments, and was a much bigger tribe as they spread over the kingdom.

But as the Kalar now was nowhere to be seen, any further questions Takita had about her or her race was now one for Takita’s own thoughts. Jeff on the other hand was still in agony as the Instructor was disappointed in the way he handled defeat. Her ears caught bits of their conversations but it was nothing that interested her long enough to keep up with it. One of the few mages that had offered their help to the Divine Isle had sunken down next to Jeff to put a healing spell on his broken wrist.

The young woman had long peach coloured hair that was braided and rested against her left shoulder. She was wearing a dark blue scarf around her neck that matched the robe she was wearing. From what Takita could see the young mage was wearing mostly cloth armor and a light metal chest piece to protect her from any flying projectiles. The healing magic was rather calming as the weak pink coloured light embraced Jeff’s skin and with the blink of an eye, his injury was gone.

Takita tried to remember the name of the young mage but despite how much she tried, her memory was against her as the name only stayed on the tip of her tongue.

“Hime.” said Specter that yet again had creeped up on the human warrior. Takita almost slapped him this time as her hand was in the air. “The name you’re looking for is Hime, a natural in healing magic but a waste of time regarding battle.” he added as Specter was chewing on a strand of grass he had in his mouth.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. Storm

Storm Seasoned Adventurer

You're welcome taki :doki: ps put a space after hime so Nel gets tagged :x

3. XenoWarrior

XenoWarrior Administrator Staff Member Administrator Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

People will love it :doki:

4. Takita

Takita Shoutbox DJ | TakiRoll | Goddess of Lewd Light Purple VIP Knight Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Don't want him missing out. x3
    If you say so. ;A;

5. Ailisuu

Ailisuu

Normally I don't agree with what people tell me to do over the interwebs... But in this case, I'd say Chapter 2 ^_^

6. Takita

I'm glad you liked it! :3

7. Senji

Senji Cyan VIP Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer Alpha Key Holder

Senji approves. o u o
    Pear goddess does too.
    \ o /

8. Matvyn

Matvyn Forum Mod Staff Member Christmas VIP Warlord Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

Can't wait for the next chapter o u o

9. Billie

Billie

Orange Goddess* :Kappa:

Anyway, amazing story so far Taki. You'll go far, you'll go far.

Senji likes this.
  10. Vrael

Vrael Cyan VIP Cyan VIP

< ̄`ヽ、       / ̄>
     ゝ、  \ /⌒ヽ,ノ  /´
       ゝ、 `( ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /
         >     ,ノ
         ∠_,,,/´”

whatever likes this.
  11. Vengeance

Vengeance Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer Alpha Key Holder

D:
    A moment of silence

Dank story though, fam.

12. Takita

Thanks! I still feel like i have a lot more to improve but i'm happy that it turned out like this c:
    Thanks vengy bby. :doki: Chapter 2 this weekend or maybe earlier than that. ;3

13. Vengeance

Vengeance Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer Alpha Key Holder

Np bby. :doki:
    CHAPTER 2 HYPE. Inb4 I read it during one of my matches. :Kappa:

14. DemonLordM

DemonLordM

You require someone who is good at grammar..i would help but i would kill myself reading this so good luck

15. Storm

Storm Seasoned Adventurer

There is no use for the last part of your post, is there? Just stating you're an obnoxious little brat that would rather kill himself than helping someone.

I'm sure @Reach will look into it when he has got more time.

16. Reach

Reach Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

I sent my critique to your inbox, Takita. Happy writing

Jorno likes this.
  17. whatever

whatever Blue VIP Blue VIP Seasoned Adventurer Oldtimer

You already know that I like it (Y)

18. Mgk

Mgk Adventurer Adventurer

This is really good, keep it up?

19. Leind

Leind Young Knight Seasoned Adventurer

Next chapter pleassseeee

20. Takita

A New chapter posted ~
    Since I wasn't able to write everything that i wanted to add to Chapter 2, Because of that I will make a Chapter 0.